Quartz countertops have become an increasingly popular choice for kitchen and bathroom remodels in Toronto. Known for their durability, low maintenance, and stylish appearance, quartz offers homeowners a practical yet beautiful countertop option. If you’re considering quartz for your next renovation project, here is a guide on where to shop for quartz countertops in Toronto.
Factors to Consider When Buying Quartz Countertops
When shopping for quartz, there are a few key factors to keep in mind:
- Color and Pattern Options – Quartz comes in a wide array of colors and patterns to suit any design aesthetic. Be sure to view physical slab samples to get an accurate representation of the color and patterning.
- Thickness – Standard thickness is 3cm, but 2cm and 4cm are options as well. Thicker quartz is more durable.
- Edge Profiles – The edge can be finished in different styles like square, bullnose, ogee, and more. This affects both aesthetics and ease of cleaning.
- Warranty – Many quartz brands offer 15-year or lifetime limited warranties. Be sure to review warranty details.
- Certifications – Look for quartz that meets standards for low VOCs. Greenguard, NSF, and CE mark indicate the product is certified.
- Installation – Some retailers provide their own professional installation while others do not.
- Budget – Prices range from $50-$100 per square foot installed, depending on the brand and quality.
Keeping these factors in mind will help you select the best quartz product for your kitchen or bath remodel.
Where to Shop for Quartz Countertops in Toronto
There are many options when it comes to buying quartz countertops in Toronto:
Big Box Stores
Stores like Home Depot and Rona carry some quartz lines like Cambria, Silestone, and Caesarstone. They may have a limited color selection, but you can get an idea of pricing. Often they offer installation services.
Kitchen and Bath Showrooms
Showrooms like Kitchen Stuff Plus, Bathworks Plus, and Noble House carry a full range of quartz brands and products. You’ll get to see large slabs on display. Many provide design expertise and installation.
Companies like Stone Warehouse, Marble Trend, and Top Quality Stone supply slabs to contractors and designers. You can select materials here, then hire your own installer. This option provides the most customization.
Direct from Quartz Brands
Some quartz manufacturers like Cosentino (Silestone) and Cambria allow you to buy direct. They have showrooms where you can view slabs in person. Orders and installation are coordinated through them.
A few online retailers like Wayfair and Homequartz sell quartz countertops. This offers convenience but you won’t see the material in person. Accuracy of color representation varies.
IKEA sells quartz countertops and provides installation. Their color selection is limited to neutral tones. Pricing is on the lower end.
Habitat for Humanity ReStore
Sometimes ReStore has leftover or recycled quartz pieces available for resale at discounted prices. Selection is limited but worth checking.
Top Quartz Brands in Toronto
The most readily available and popular quartz brands in Toronto include:
- Caesarstone – Offers a diverse color palette with designs from modern concrete to natural stone looks. Known for quality and durability.
- Cambria – Features a range of bold colors and patterns. Has a natural quartz appearance. Made in the USA.
- Silestone – Comes in many colors and textures from calm neutrals to vivid hues. Stain and scratch resistant.
- Vicostone – Provides unique options like uneven stone textures and recycled glass and mirror chips. Budget-friendly.
- Quartz Master – Canadian-made brand with wide variety of styles. Focuses on service and customization.
- Hanstone – Known for realistic natural stone and marble designs. Offers upgraded durability and stain protection.
- Viatera – Quartz made using up to 100% recycled materials. Has high-end styles.
How to Select the Best Quartz Countertop
Choosing the right quartz countertop involves:
- Review your design inspirations, perhaps from Houzz or Pinterest, to identify preferred colors and patterns. Bring images to the showroom.
- Visit showrooms and stone suppliers to view large slabs in all available options. Many have sample size pieces to take home.
- Narrow down top choices by color/pattern, vein and movement, texture, and fleck size.
- Consider durability needs based on kitchen vs bathroom use, family lifestyle, etc.
- Ensure the product is certified and offers a good warranty.
- Get quotes for total installed cost from at least 3 fabricators/installers.
- Choose the color and style that best fits your space and design vision.
- Carefully review details of your order before finalizing.
FAQ About Purchasing Quartz Countertops
Where can I view quartz countertop slabs in Toronto?
The best places to view full size slab samples are stone suppliers like Marble Trend, Kitchen and Bath showrooms like Bathworks, and direct from quartz brands such as Cosentino’s Toronto showroom.
What thickness should I choose for quartz?
The standard thickness is 3cm. For heavy use areas many prefer 4cm. If you have restricted space, 2cm can work but may be less durable.
What edge profiles look best with quartz?
Since quartz has uniform patterning, streamlined modern profiles like square, eased, or minimal bevel edges complement it well. Or go for rounded edges like bullnose or double radius.
Does quartz need to be sealed?
No, quartz does not require sealing. Its non-porous composition resists stains and damage without a sealant. However, regular cleaning is still important.
How much does installed quartz cost compared to granite or marble?
On average, installed quartz costs $70-100 per square foot. Granite is similar in price while marble is slightly higher. More premium quartz can be pricier.
Can I install quartz countertops myself?
It’s not recommended for DIY installation as it involves precise cutting and seam placement. Hiring professional fabricators and installers is best to get proper results.
- Toronto has many options like showrooms, stone suppliers, and fabricators to purchase quartz countertops.
- It’s important to view full size slabs in person before finalizing a purchase.
- Leading quartz brands in Toronto include Cambria, Caesarstone, Silestone, and Vicostone.
- Carefully consider color, pattern, thickness, edges, durability, certifications, and pricing when selecting quartz.
- Professional installation is strongly advised over DIY quartz countertop installation.
- Budget approximately $70-100 per square foot for installed quartz countertops.
Quartz offers unparalleled aesthetic options and durability for kitchens and baths. Following this guide will help Toronto homeowners make the best selection when investing in new quartz countertops. With the right research and planning, your new quartz countertops can provide lasting beauty and daily enjoyment for years to come.