Quartz countertops are popular in many homes today due to their durability, aesthetic appeal, and low maintenance. However, like any surface, quartz countertops require proper care and cleaning to keep them looking their best. Many homeowners wonder if common household cleaners like Sprayway glass cleaner are safe to use on quartz. Here is a detailed look at whether Sprayway glass cleaner is safe for cleaning quartz countertops.
What is Quartz?
Quartz countertops, often referred to as engineered stone, are made from ground natural quartz crystals combined with resins and pigments. The resins bind the quartz particles together to form a durable, non-porous surface.
Some key features of quartz countertops:
- Extremely durable – resistant to scratches, stains and heat
- Non-porous – does not require sealing
- Available in a wide range of colors and patterns
- Low maintenance compared to natural stone
- Resists bacteria growth
- Not as prone to etching as natural stone
Is Sprayway Glass Cleaner Safe for Quartz?
Sprayway glass cleaner is generally considered safe and effective for cleaning quartz countertops. Here’s why:
- pH-balanced formula – Sprayway glass cleaner has a pH between 6 and 8, meaning it is a neutral cleaner. Acidic or alkaline cleaners can etch or damage quartz.
- Does not contain ammonia – Ammonia is known to dull the finish of quartz over time. Sprayway glass cleaner contains alcohol rather than ammonia as the cleaning agent.
- Leaves no streaks or residue – The cleansing agents in Sprayway allow it to clean without leaving any sticky residue that could build up on quartz over time.
- Designed for shiny surfaces – As a glass cleaner, Sprayway is formulated to clean smooth, shiny, water-resistant surfaces like quartz countertops.
- Trusted brand for stone surfaces – Sprayway is frequently recommended by manufacturers like Cambria and Caesarstone as a safe cleaner for quartz countertops.
As with any cleaner, it’s best to test Sprayway glass cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it does not damage or dull the quartz. But overall, when used as directed, Sprayway is considered safe and effective for routine cleaning of quartz countertops.
Best Practices for Cleaning Quartz Countertops
To keep quartz counters clean and looking their best, follow these best practices:
- Wipe up spills immediately to prevent stains and etching
- Rinse with water after using cleaners
- Use a microfiber cloth, sponge or soft brush, avoid abrasive pads
- Clean with a pH-neutral stone cleaner like Sprayway
- Avoid bleach, vinegar, acidic, or alkaline cleaners
- Reseal quartz every 1-2 years with a stone sealer
- Avoid exposing quartz to extreme heat
- Use trivets and hot pads under hot pans and appliances
- Don’t cut directly on the counter
How to Use Sprayway on Quartz
Using Sprayway glass cleaner on quartz counters is quick and easy:
- Remove all debris, crumbs and dirt from the surface.
- Spray Sprayway directly onto the quartz surface to be cleaned.
- Use a clean microfiber cloth to spread the spray evenly and wipe in light circular motions.
- Buff dry with a clean cloth until no streaks remain.
- Allow the quartz to air dry completely.
For best results, try cleaning small areas at a time and work from back to front. Check that all cleaner residue is removed. Avoid saturating the surface.
FAQs About Using Sprayway on Quartz
Is Sprayway glass cleaner safe for polished quartz?
Yes, Sprayway is pH-balanced and safe for use on polished or glossy quartz finishes. It will not dull or etch properly sealed quartz.
Can I use Sprayway daily on my quartz countertops?
You can use Sprayway daily as part of your regular cleaning routine for quartz. Just make sure to rinse thoroughly and avoid over-saturating the surface.
Will Sprayway remove hard water stains from quartz?
Sprayway alone may not be enough to remove hard water stains from quartz. Use a stone-safe cleaning product formulated for hard water stain removal.
Can I mix Sprayway with other cleaners to clean quartz?
It’s best to avoid mixing household cleaners. Stick to using Sprayway alone on quartz as directed.
Does Sprayway need to be diluted before using on quartz?
No, Sprayway glass cleaner can be used undiluted on quartz countertops. Simply spray on and wipe off. No dilution needed.
The Bottom Line
Sprayway glass cleaner is generally considered safe, effective, and ideal for cleaning quartz countertops. With its neutral pH formula free of ammonia or abrasives, Sprayway gently cleans without damaging properly sealed quartz surfaces. Just be sure to test first, follow usage directions, rinse thoroughly, and clean quartz regularly with a soft cloth or sponge for best results. With the proper care, quartz countertops can stay looking like new for years of beauty and durability in the home.