An Introduction to Quartz Countertops
Quartz countertops are engineered stone surfaces made from quartz particles bound together with resin. They are an increasingly popular choice for home kitchens and bathrooms because they are:
- Durable – Quartz is resistant to scratches, stains and heat. However, it can be damaged by excessive force or abrasion over time.
- Low maintenance – Quartz requires very little ongoing care compared to natural stone. It does not need regular sealing.
- Aesthetically pleasing – Quartz comes in a wide array of colors and patterns that mimic natural stone and other materials.
However, quartz is still a delicate surface that requires proper cleaning methods to keep it looking pristine. Harsh chemicals and scrubbing can damage the surface over time.
Is Simple Green Safe for Cleaning Quartz?
Simple Green is generally considered safe to use on quartz countertops. Here’s why:
- It is a mild, non-toxic cleaner when diluted properly. Simple Green contains no harsh acids, bleach or abrasives that could etch or dull the quartz surface.
- The brand specifically states that Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is safe for use on stone, quartz and other resilient surfaces. It does not contain ingredients that could interact poorly with quartz.
- Many quartz manufacturers and industry sources recommend Simple Green as a good option for routine quartz care and cleaning.
However, there are some precautions to take when using Simple Green on quartz:
Dilute it Properly
Only use Simple Green at the proper dilutions recommended on the bottle. For everyday quartz cleaning, a dilution ratio of 1:64 (1/2 tsp Simple Green per quart of water) is typically recommended. Using Simple Green undiluted or in very high concentrations increases the risk of damage.
Avoid Harsh Scrubbing
Never scrub aggressively while cleaning quartz with Simple Green. Use a soft sponge or cloth with light pressure. Quartz is durable, but aggressive scrubbing can dull the surface over time.
After cleaning with Simple Green, be sure to rinse the quartz thoroughly with clean water to remove any cleaner residue. Residue left behind could attract more dirt.
It’s smart to test Simple Green on a small, inconspicuous part of your quartz surface before use. Check that it does not discolor or damage the surface.
Don’t Use With Other Chemicals
Don’t mix Simple Green with other cleaning products like bleach, ammonia or acidic cleaners. Only use Simple Green alone diluted with water to clean quartz.
Simple Green Quartz Cleaning Tips
Follow these tips when using Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner on quartz countertops:
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon Simple Green with 1 quart water in a bucket or spray bottle.
- Wipe quartz with a soft, damp microfiber cloth, sponge or paper towel. Avoid abrasive scrub pads.
- Use a circular motion to clean. Never scrub aggressively or use excessive force.
- Rinse quartz thoroughly after cleaning to remove residue. Blot dry with a towel.
- For dried spills or stains, let Simple Green solution sit for 5 minutes before gently wiping away.
- Regularly disinfect quartz by cleaning with a Simple Green/water solution using a clean microfiber cloth.
- Always refer to your quartz manufacturer’s care instructions too.
Simple Green Products to Avoid on Quartz
While the standard Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is quartz-safe, some other products in the Simple Green line may be less ideal to use:
- Simple Green Limescale Remover – Contains acids to dissolve mineral deposits that could etch quartz.
- Simple Green Oxy Solve – This chlorinated cleaner carries higher risks of surface damage.
- Simple Green Crystals – The granulated formula is too abrasive for smooth quartz.
When to Call a Professional
It’s smart to have quartz countertops professionally cleaned 1-2 times per year to keep them looking their best. Professionals have access to more powerful cleaning solutions that can dissolve stubborn stains Simple Green cannot tackle.
Call a professional quartz cleaner for:
- Annual deep cleaning service
- Removal of hard water marks and calcium deposits
- Heavy staining that Simple Green cannot remove
- Thorough disinfection
- Restorative polishing/resurfacing every 3-5 years
The Bottom Line
Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is considered safe and effective for routine cleaning of quartz surfaces. When diluted correctly and used properly, it can keep quartz clean and beautiful without posing risks of damage. However, take care to always use Simple Green gently on quartz and rinse thoroughly after cleaning. Supplement weekly cleaning with professional deep cleaning as needed.