Cleaning white quartz countertops properly is key to keeping them looking their best. Quartz countertops from IKEA, like the Särna collection, are an attractive and durable option for kitchens and bathrooms. However, they do require regular cleaning to maintain their appearance. Here is a detailed guide on how to clean white quartz countertops from IKEA.
- Mild dish soap or stone cleaner
- Soft cloth or sponge
- Microfiber towel
For regular cleaning, follow these steps:
- Rinse the countertop with warm water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Mix a few drops of mild dish soap or stone cleaner with warm water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution directly onto the countertop.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to gently scrub the entire surface of the quartz. Apply light pressure as you scrub.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove all soap residue.
- Dry the surface completely with a microfiber towel.
This quick cleaning routine should be done daily or after preparing meals. The dish soap helps cut through grease and food stains, while the water rinses away any residue. Thorough drying prevents water spots or mineral buildup.
For a more thorough deep cleaning, follow this process:
- Mix equal parts warm water and hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.
- Liberally spray the solution all over the quartz countertop.
- Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes so the peroxide can break down any stubborn stains.
- Use a soft bristle brush and gently scrub the entire surface. Apply light pressure as you scrub.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Dry completely with a clean microfiber towel.
The hydrogen peroxide in this solution works to lift stains and disinfect the surface. Letting it sit allows the bubbles to penetrate before scrubbing.
For stubborn stains like dried coffee or juice, use a stain removal paste. Here’s how:
- Apply a small amount of barkeepers friend or baking soda paste directly on the stain.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Use a soft bristle brush to gently rub the paste around the stain.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Dry completely with a microfiber towel.
The mild abrasives in these pastes will help lift the stain without damaging the quartz surface. Avoid using harsh chemicals like bleach that could etch or discolor the stone.
To keep white quartz counters looking shiny and bright, follow these tips:
- Buff occasionally with a microfiber cloth to maintain the polished look.
- Avoid using vinegar, citrus juices, or harsh cleaners which can dull the surface.
- Re-seal the countertop every 1-2 years with a quartz sealer to protect the finish.
- Use cutting boards and trivets to protect from scratches and burns which can also dull the shine.
With proper cleaning and care, white quartz counters from IKEA can maintain their beautiful luster for years before needing professional restoration. Be sure to clean up spills quickly to minimize staining.
How can I get rid of hard water marks on my quartz?
Mix equal parts white vinegar and water and wipe the surface with a soft cloth soaked in the solution. Rinse thoroughly. The vinegar will help dissolve mineral deposits.
What should I use to sanitize my quartz countertops?
A dilute bleach solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water can be used to disinfect quartz surfaces. Spray it on and let it sit briefly before rinsing. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
Can I use lemon juice to clean my white quartz?
No, you should avoid using lemon juice or other citrus products to clean quartz counters. The acidity can damage and etch the surface over time. Use a mild pH-neutral cleaner instead.
How can I get dried food stains off my IKEA quartz?
For dried-on food messes, let a damp cloth soaked in baking soda paste sit on the stain for 5 minutes before gently scrubbing and rinsing. The baking soda will help lift the stain without damaging the surface.
What’s the best way to dry my quartz countertops after cleaning?
Always use a soft microfiber towel to dry quartz surfaces after cleaning. Rubbing vigorously with a paper towel can leave scratches over time. Letting water air dry can lead to spots.
Cleaning white quartz counters from IKEA doesn’t require harsh chemicals or special tools. With a gentle dish soap and water solution for everyday cleaning and hydrogen peroxide to occasionally deep clean, you can keep your countertops looking like new. Be sure to rinse thoroughly, dry completely, and buff occasionally. Avoid acidic or abrasive cleaners. Follow these tips and your IKEA quartz surfaces will stay beautiful for many years.