MSI quartz countertops are an excellent choice for any kitchen or bathroom. Made from natural quartz and resin, these countertops are durable, stylish, and easy to maintain. However, proper cleaning is still required to keep MSI quartz looking its best. Here is a thorough guide on how to clean MSI quartz countertops.
- Mild soap or dish detergent
- Soft cloth or sponge
- MSI quartz cleaner (optional)
For day-to-day cleaning, MSI recommends using a soft cloth or sponge with warm water and mild soap. Here are the steps:
- Rinse the countertop with warm water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Apply a small amount of mild soap or dish detergent to the countertop. Avoid using abrasive cleaners.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to clean the entire surface in light circular motions. Apply gentle pressure.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove all soap residue.
- Dry the surface completely with a soft towel.
Cleaning MSI quartz regularly prevents buildup of dirt and grime. It also reduces the risk of staining. Be sure to wipe up spills as soon as they occur. For dried spills, allow water to sit on the area briefly to soften the substance before wiping away.
Removing Stubborn Stains
Over time, MSI quartz may develop stains from spills, grease, or food residue. Here are some tips for removing stubborn stains:
Grease and Oil Stains
- Apply a small amount of degreasing dish soap and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Gently scrub with a soft bristle brush. Rinse and dry.
Dried Food Stains
- Allow a damp cloth to sit on the stain to soften it, then scrub with a paste of baking soda and water. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
- Make a paste with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Apply to the stain and let sit for 30 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing.
Hard Water Marks
- Wipe on undiluted white vinegar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing. Repeat if needed.
Mold or Mildew Stains
- Create a baking soda and water paste. Apply and let sit for an hour before scrubbing and rinsing. Disinfect with hydrogen peroxide.
For extremely stubborn stains, you can try using a MSI quartz cleaner found at most hardware stores. Always test the cleaner on an inconspicuous spot first.
Maintaining the Shine
While MSI quartz resists scratches better than other materials, its glossy surface can become dulled over time. Here are some tips for maintaining the shine:
- Use a stone polish made specifically for engineered quartz to restore the natural luster every 6 months or as needed.
- Avoid using waxes, bleaches, or abrasive cleaners which can damage the finish.
- Always use a cutting board for food prep rather than cutting directly on the counter.
- Minimize dragging pots, pans, or appliances across the surface which can scratch.
- Clean up spills promptly to prevent lasting etching or dull spots.
To keep MSI quartz counters in impeccable condition for years, take steps to prevent damage:
- Use hot pads or trivets under hot pans, pots, or heat generating appliances. Exposure to extreme heat can crack, scorch, or discolor the surface.
- Avoid dropping heavy objects on the countertop which can chip the quartz.
- Seal around the sinks and backsplash with caulk to prevent moisture damage.
- Repair cracks, chips, or seams promptly to prevent further damage. Professional help may be needed for repairs.
- Reseal the countertop every 1-2 years, especially if cracks appear around edges near sinks or appliances.
Deep Cleaning as Needed
For periodic deep cleaning, consider using a steam cleaner, which will sanitize the counters and remove built-up grime in hard to reach areas. Be sure to wipe down thoroughly after steaming.
An oxygen-based bleach cleaner can also disinfect and brighten the quartz. Rinse the surface thoroughly after use.
How Often Should MSI Quartz Countertops Be Cleaned?
- Daily: Quick wipe down with damp cloth
- Weekly: Thorough cleaning with mild soap and water
- Monthly: Target areas with heavy use
- Every 6 Months: Deep clean entire surface with quartz polish/cleaner
- Annually: Full inspection and resealing as needed
Following this cleaning routine will ensure MSI quartz countertops stay in excellent condition for many years. The key is to address spills and messes promptly before they have a chance to stain. With proper care, MSI quartz countertops are an easy-to-maintain and durable choice for kitchen and bathroom surfaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
What cleaners should be avoided on MSI quartz?
- Avoid abrasive cleaners, alkaline or acidic cleaners, bleach, ammonia, vinegar, scouring pads, and anything with dyes as these can etch or discolor the surface.
Can MSI quartz counters be damaged?
- MSI quartz is very durable, but excessive heat, hard impacts, and improper cleaning can damage the material. Cracks, chips, and dull spots are possible over time.
How can I get rid of hard water marks?
- Hard water deposits can be removed with white vinegar. Let the vinegar sit for 5-10 minutes before wiping away. Repeat as needed.
Are MSI quartz counters heat resistant?
- MSI quartz can withstand brief exposure to moderate heat. However, consistent direct high heat can cause cracks or discoloration. Always use trivets and hot pads.
How long does MSI quartz last compared to other counters?
- With proper care and maintenance, MSI quartz can last 20-30 years or more. It outlasts materials like laminate while providing greater stain resistance than granite.
MSI quartz delivers the look of natural stone with extreme durability. By cleaning the counters regularly using the proper methods, MSI quartz will maintain its flawless appearance and luster for decades. Avoid abrasive cleaners and be sure to wipe up spills promptly. With routine care, MSI quartz countertops will stay looking like new for years of beauty and enjoyment.