The standard thickness for IKEA quartz countertops is 2cm, which is about 0.8 inches. This is the most affordable option that IKEA offers.
A 2cm thick quartz countertop can be used for most general home applications, such as in a kitchen or bathroom. This thickness provides an elegant look while still offering durability and scratch resistance compared to other countertop materials.
The 2cm thickness is suitable for countertops up to 248 cm in length that are installed with a substrate. It may not be thick enough for overhangs or unsupported spans greater than 60 cm without reinforcement. Overall, the standard 2cm thickness offers a good balance of affordability and performance for most homes.
Thick Quartz Countertops
For areas that need extra durability, IKEA offers two thicker quartz countertop options:
This is approximately 1.2 inches thick. The 3cm thickness provides enhanced strength and reinforcement compared to the 2cm standard thickness.
The added thickness allows the countertop to withstand more weight and force without cracking or chipping. A 3cm thick quartz countertop can support overhangs up to 30cm and unsupported spans up to 90cm.
The 3cm thickness is ideal for kitchen islands, bars, and other areas that may see heavier use and traffic. It provides an extra level of robustness while still keeping cost relatively affordable.
At around 2 inches thick, the 5cm quartz countertops are IKEA’s thickest and most heavy-duty option.
The 5cm thickness offers maximum durability and can support the most weight without reinforced understructures. It can easily handle overhangs up to 60cm and unsupported spans exceeding 90cm.
This extra-thick quartz is best suited for commercial settings or heavy-use residential areas that need to withstand significant impact, weight, and wear-and-tear over time. The thicker profile adds a stylish, substantial look and feel as well.
Although the 5cm thickness comes at a higher price, it’s ideal for those seeking superior strength and longevity in high-traffic spaces. It provides the most robust and resilient quartz countertop option from IKEA.
Factors To Consider
When choosing an IKEA quartz countertop thickness, here are some factors to take into account:
- Budget – Thicker countertops cost more, so consider your budget constraints. The 2cm standard thickness provides the most affordability.
- Overhang Length – The thickness impacts the supported overhang length. Measure planned overhangs to choose an adequate thickness.
- Unsupported Spans – Longer span lengths between base cabinets require thicker quartz for support. Measure planned spans to determine thickness needed.
- Weight Tolerance – Thicker quartz supports more weight without cracking or damage. Assess the expected weight loads on the countertop.
- Use Frequency – High-traffic areas benefit from thicker quartz that can withstand heavy usage and impact over time.
Standard IKEA Quartz Countertop Edges
In addition to choosing the thickness, you’ll need to select an edge profile for your IKEA quartz countertop. Here are the standard edge options:
- Straight Edge – A simple flat edge with a right-angled corner.
- Curved Edge – A rounded, curved profile that smoothly transitions from countertop to edge.
- Beveled Edge – Angled along the top and bottom edges for a distinctive look.
- Dupont Edge – A squared edge with a subtle bevel along the bottom.
- Miter Edge – A seamless angled edge created by joining two countertop pieces.
The edge can be customized to match your kitchen or bathroom design. A straight or simple curved edge offers a clean, modern look. Beveled and Dupont edges provide more ornate styles. Discuss the edge options with your IKEA kitchen specialist.
IKEA Quartz Countertop Thickness Considerations
When selecting the thickness of IKEA quartz countertops, keep the following considerations in mind:
- A thicker quartz countertop costs more but provides enhanced durability and support.
- Measure proposed overhangs and unsupported spans to determine the needed thickness.
- Consider the weight tolerance and expected use of the space.
- Thicker options like 3cm and 5cm work best for heavy usage situations.
- The standard 2cm thickness is affordable and suitable for most general home use.
- Coordinate the countertop thickness with the edge profile for optimal look and functionality.
Choosing the right thickness really depends on your budget, usage needs, and design style. Consult with an IKEA kitchen specialist for help selecting the perfect quartz countertop thickness and edge for your next project!
Frequently Asked Questions about IKEA Quartz Countertop Thickness
How thick are IKEA’s thinnest quartz countertops?
IKEA’s thinnest quartz countertop option is 2cm, which is approximately 0.8 inches thick. This is their standard thickness.
What is the thickest quartz countertop IKEA sells?
IKEA’s thickest quartz countertop is 5cm, roughly 2 inches thick. This extra-thick option provides maximum durability.
What thickness quartz countertop should I choose for a kitchen island?
For a kitchen island, a 3cm (1.2 inches) thick quartz countertop is recommended to provide added support for the overhangs and heavier usage.
Can a 2cm thick IKEA quartz countertop support bar stools?
While possible, a 2cm thick quartz countertop may not be rigid enough to fully support bar stools without reinforcement. A 3cm thickness would be better suited for providing additional strength.
What is the standard countertop thickness for most kitchens?
For most general kitchen use, a standard countertop thickness of 2cm (0.8 inches) is common and provides an affordable, durable option. Heavy-use areas may benefit from a thicker 3cm or 5cm quartz countertop.
IKEA offers their stylish quartz countertops in versatile thicknesses of 2cm, 3cm, and 5cm to accommodate different budgets and needs. Measuring your space, assessing use and weight loads, and factoring in overhangs and unsupported spans will help determine the ideal quartz countertop thickness for your kitchen or bathroom project. Consult an IKEA specialist to ensure you select the perfect quartz thickness and edge to bring your vision to life.