Quartz countertops have become an increasingly popular option for kitchen and bathroom remodeling projects in the UK. But how much does installing quartz countertops actually cost? Here is a detailed overview of quartz countertop pricing, factors that affect cost, and ways to get the best value for your money when opting for these durable and stylish countertops.
What is Quartz?
Quartz countertops, also sometimes called engineered stone countertops, are made from crushed quartz crystals combined with resin and other materials. The result is a man-made countertop material that is non-porous, stain resistant, and durable.
Quartz counters can mimic the look of natural stone like marble but offer more consistency in color and pattern. Quartz is also harder than granite and requires less maintenance. These positive characteristics make quartz a top choice for many homeowners undertaking kitchen or bath remodels.
Average Cost of Quartz Countertops in the UK
The cost of quartz countertops will vary depending on the size and complexity of your project. However, on average, quartz countertops in the UK cost between £40 and £100 per square meter installed.
This price range takes into account both materials and professional installation. It represents a middle ground between higher-end quartz options and more budget-friendly styles.
To determine the total cost for your specific kitchen or bath, you’ll need to calculate the total surface area that will need to be covered in square meters. Measuring length x width of existing counters or spaces provides the necessary numbers to estimate your total quartz countertop expense.
Factors That Impact Quartz Countertop Pricing
Several key factors will influence exactly how much you’ll pay to install quartz countertops in your home. Elements that affect the final price include:
- Quartz grade/quality: As with most materials, quartz comes in different quality levels. Lower-priced, budget quartz may cost around £40/m2 while premium designer quartz can be over £100/m2. The grade you choose will impact cost.
- Color and pattern: Some quartz patterns and colors are in higher demand and come at a higher price. Unusual or intricate patterns can also add to the total expense.
- Thickness: Standard quartz thickness is 2cm. But 3cm quartz provides more depth and durability for an added cost. Edges and backsplashes will also upcharge for thicker quartz.
- Installation: Simple countertop installations will take less time than complex jobs. Your installer may charge an hourly rate which is multiplied by overall project hours.
- Custom elements: Any special cut-outs, edges, or added features will increase quartz costs. Enhancements like drain grooves and integrated sinks also boost the budget.
- Location: As with all home services, location affects average costs. Quartz prices can be higher in some areas of the UK compared to others. Supply and demand also impact local pricing.
Cost Saving Tips for Quartz Countertops
Luckily, there are ways to install stylish quartz counters while still minding your budget:
- Choose a mid-range quartz grade – Opting for standard rather than premium quartz can save 20% or more. Brands like Silestone, Caesarstone, and Compac offer quality at lower price points.
- Select a simple edge style – Decorative ogee, bevel, or eased edges come at a premium. A standard flat edge keeps costs down.
- Install counters yourself – Quartz is DIY-friendly. For experienced homeowners, self-install can significantly reduce labor fees.
- Skip the backsplash – Use existing tile or a new laminate sheet to forgo a pricey quartz backsplash.
- Watch for sales and closeouts – Retailers like Topps Tiles sometimes offer discounts on select quartz styles and colors.
- Reuse existing cabinets – Quartz can be installed right over solid wood or laminate cabinets to skip cabinetry costs.
FAQs About Quartz Countertops
How long do quartz countertops last?
With proper care, quartz countertops can last upwards of 15-20 years in the home. This lifespan exceeds that of both laminate and granite.
What are the negatives of quartz countertops?
Quartz is not heat or scratch resistant. Hot pans and heavy impact can damage the surface. The man-made material also lacks the natural uniqueness of stone.
Is quartz cheaper than granite?
In most cases, quartz pricing is comparable to mid-range and lower-end granite. Very high-end granite may exceed the cost of premium quartz. Overall, the two materials are similarly priced.
Can you repair quartz countertops?
Minor damage like scratches can be buffed out of quartz. But extensive damage requires full replacement. Cracks, chips, and seams cannot be repaired.
Are quartz countertops suitable for bathrooms?
Yes, quartz offers water-resistance and durability that makes it an ideal choice for bathroom vanity tops. Quartz requires very little maintenance or sealing, even in humid bathroom environments.
Quartz delivers the look of natural stone paired with low maintenance convenience. For most UK homes, installing quartz countertops ranges from £40 to £100 per square meter. Choosing a mid-range quartz and keeping your project design simple can help minimize total costs. With appropriate care, quartz offers lasting quality and enjoyment for the heart of your home.