Quartz countertops are an increasingly popular choice for kitchen and bathroom surfaces due to their durability, appearance, and low maintenance. However, like any surface, quartz countertops require regular cleaning to keep them looking their best. Lysol kitchen cleaners are powerful disinfectants designed to kill germs and bacteria. But can Lysol products be safely used on quartz? Here is a detailed guide on using Lysol cleaners on quartz countertops.
An Overview of Quartz Countertops
Quartz countertops, often referred to as engineered stone, are made from ground natural quartz crystals combined with polymer resins and pigments. The resins bind the quartz particles together to form a durable, non-porous surface.
Some key features of quartz countertops:
- Extremely durable and scratch-resistant surface
- Non-porous so resists staining
- Available in a wide range of colors and patterns
- Requires very little maintenance
- Heat and impact resistant
- Not prone to etching from acids like natural stone
Quartz stands up well to daily wear and tear and is an ideal choice for busy kitchens. With simple cleaning, quartz countertops can maintain their beautiful appearance for many years.
Is It Safe to Use Lysol on Quartz Countertops?
Lysol cleaners and disinfectants are formulated with potent active ingredients to kill germs and bacteria. However, some harsh chemicals like bleach or abrasive particles can potentially damage quartz surfaces.
Most Lysol cleaners are safe to use on quartz countertops in moderation. It is best to spot test Lysol products first on an inconspicuous area before widespread use. Avoid excessive scrubbing force.
Here are some general guidelines for using Lysol on quartz:
- Lysol wipes – Lysol disinfecting wipes are safe for occasional use on quartz. Wring out excess liquid first before gentle wiping.
- Lysol spray cleaners – Sprays like Lysol Power toilet bowl cleaner are okay for spot cleaning quartz surfaces. Avoid excessive use. Rinse surface after use.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners – Lysol scrubbing cleaners like Lysol Basin Tub and Tile Cleaner contain abrasives and should be avoided.
- No bleach or ammonia – Avoid Lysol products containing bleach or ammonia as these can etch or discolor quartz.
- Spot test first – Test Lysol cleaners on a small hidden part of the quartz before full use.
- Rinse after use – Make sure to rinse quartz thoroughly after using Lysol sprays and wipes.
How to Clean Quartz Countertops
For routine cleaning, quartz countertops can be easily maintained using gentle soap and water:
- Everyday, wipe down quartz with a soft sponge or cloth using warm water and mild dish soap.
- For dried spills or sticky messes, spray a small amount of glass cleaner or all-purpose surface cleaner onto the quartz. Gently scrub with a nonabrasive sponge.
- Thoroughly rinse the surface using a clean, damp cloth to remove all soap residue.
- Dry the quartz using a microfiber cloth to prevent water spots.
- For disinfecting, use a diluted 10:1 bleach solution or Lysol wipes once or twice per week.
- Schedule deep cleaning every 2-3 months using a quartz-safe stone cleaner.
Avoid exposing quartz counters to strong chemicals like paint removers, oven cleaners, etc. Always wipe up spills quickly to prevent possible staining. With proper care, quartz countertops will retain their original beauty and resist damage, scratches, and stains.
Frequently Asked Questions About Using Lysol on Quartz
Can I use Lysol bathroom cleaner on my quartz countertop?
No, Lysol bathroom cleaners often contain abrasives, bleach or harsh chemicals that can damage quartz surfaces. Use a gentle dish soap and water solution instead.
Is it safe to use Lysol kitchen cleaner spray on quartz?
Yes, Lysol kitchen cleaner sprays are generally safe for quartz if used sparingly and rinsed thoroughly after application. Avoid scrubbing too aggressively on the quartz.
Will Lysol wipes scratch my quartz countertop?
No, Lysol disinfecting wipes are soft enough that they will not scratch quartz surfaces. Gently wipe the quartz and do not scrub vigorously to prevent scratching.
Can Lysol concentrate cause etching on quartz?
Yes, undiluted Lysol concentrates contain harsh chemicals and bleach that can potentially etch or discolor quartz surfaces. Always dilute Lysol concentrates as directed before use on quartz.
Is it okay to use Lysol Power toilet bowl cleaner on my quartz backsplash?
This is not recommended, as Lysol Power contains hydrochloric acid that can damage quartz. Use a gentle glass cleaner instead on quartz backsplashes.
Lysol disinfectants are very effective at eliminating germs, when used properly and in moderation. Most Lysol cleaners are safe for periodic use on durable quartz countertops. Always spot test and rinse thoroughly after application. Avoid excessive scrubbing. For daily cleaning,simple soap and water is best for maintaining the beauty of quartz surfaces in kitchens and bathrooms. Be sure to use quartz-approved cleaners only and follow the manufacturer’s care recommendations. With proper maintenance, quartz countertops will stay looking like new for many years.