Quartz countertops are an increasingly popular choice for modern kitchens and bathrooms. Made from engineered stone, quartz combines natural quartz crystals with resins and pigments to create a durable, low-maintenance surface. With a wide range of colors and patterns available, quartz offers the look of natural stone with more consistency. One common question homeowners have is whether you can use Fantastik cleaner on quartz countertops.
What is Fantastik Cleaner?
Fantastik is a household all-purpose cleaner made by S.C. Johnson. It is designed to cut through grease, soap scum, and other household soils on multiple surfaces. Key ingredients in Fantastik include surfactants to break down soils and grime, solvents like glycol ethers to dissolve grease, and fragrances. It comes in different varieties, including an antibacterial formula and options specifically for kitchens or bathrooms.
Is It Safe to Use Fantastik on Quartz?
The short answer is yes, Fantastik can be safely used on quartz countertops when diluted properly and used as directed. Here are some tips for using Fantastik on quartz:
- Dilute it – Fantastik should always be diluted before applying to quartz. The standard dilution is around 1:4 cleaner to water ratio. This helps prevent any damage to the surface.
- Avoid abrasives – Some Fantastik products contain bleach or abrasive ingredients. Stick to grease-cutting or antibacterial formulas without abrasives. Check the product label.
- Spot test first – Try Fantastik in a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it does not etch or discolor the quartz.
- Rinse thoroughly – Rinse quartz thoroughly after cleaning to remove any cleaner residue. Remaining residue can damage the surface over time.
- Blot dry – After rinsing, use a soft cloth to blot dry instead of rubbing aggressively. This prevents spotting.
- Frequency – Limit use of Fantastik or any harsh cleaners on quartz. Too frequent use can dull the surface.
Best Practices for Cleaning Quartz Countertops
While Fantastik is quartz-safe with proper use, here are some best practices for keeping quartz counters clean:
- Use a soft sponge or cloth with warm water and mild soap. Avoid abrasive pads.
- Blot spills quickly to prevent staining. Don’t let liquids sit.
- For stuck-on messes, use a non-abrasive scrub pad and diluted cleaner.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly after cleaning.
- Clean with a quartz-safe cleaner like Seventh Generation, Method, or Mrs. Meyer’s.
- Disinfect with a diluted bleach cleaner. 1 part bleach to 9 parts water.
- For heavy duty grime, use Bar Keeper’s Friend or a powdered cleanser.
- Acidic cleaners like vinegar, lemon, or harsh chemicals.
- Abrasive pads, scouring powders, or anything scratchy.
- Letting spills sit. Blot up quickly.
- Putting hot pans directly on the surface. Always use a trivet.
Protecting Your Investment
By following the proper care and cleaning methods, your quartz countertops will stay looking pristine for decades. The key is using the right products and techniques. Fantastik can be used safely with the proper precautions. For daily cleaning, mild soap and water is ideal for maintaining the beauty of quartz without damage over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use Windex or Glass Cleaners on Quartz?
Most glass cleaners like Windex are safe for cleaning quartz surfaces. Avoid formulas with ammonia or abrasives. Always test in a small area first and rinse thoroughly.
How can I remove dried food or grease stains?
Bar Keeper’s Friend or a powdered cleanser can help scrub off dried on messes. Or try rubbing alcohol or acetone on stubborn stains. Follow up with a standard cleaner and thorough rinse. Avoid scraping with sharp objects.
Is it okay to cut food directly on quartz?
Yes, it is perfectly fine to cut and prep food directly on quartz. Use a cutting board for heavy chopping to protect knives and the counter surface. Blot any juices quickly to prevent staining.
Can hot pots and pans damage my quartz?
Excessive, direct heat can damage solid surfaces over time. Always use heat trivets when setting hot cookware on quartz. Avoid letting pots boil over onto the counter.
How often should I seal or re-seal my quartz countertops?
Quartz does not require regular sealing like natural stone. Most quartz has built-in stain protection that eliminates the need for sealing.
Fantastik all-purpose cleaner can be used safely on quartz counters when properly diluted and rinsed. Daily cleaning is easy with mild soap and water. For a deeper clean, use a cleaner made specifically for engineered stone. Avoid abrasives or acidic cleaners. With proper care, quartz countertops will stay looking like new for many years. Regular cleaning and prompt spills removal is key.