Quartz countertops are popular in many homes today due to their durability, aesthetics, and low maintenance. While quartz is resistant to stains, scratches, and heat, proper cleaning is still required to keep them looking their best. A common question homeowners have is whether Dawn dish soap can be safely used on quartz.
What is Quartz?
Quartz countertops, sometimes called engineered stone, are made from ground natural quartz crystals combined with resin and pigments. The quartz makes up over 90% of the material. It is hardened into slabs that can be fabricated into countertops for kitchens, bathrooms, and other areas.
Some key features of quartz countertops:
- Extremely durable – resistant to scratches, stains, heat, and impacts.
- Available in a wide variety of colors and patterns.
- Requires less maintenance than natural stone.
- Non-porous so does not need periodic sealing.
- Easy to clean compared to other countertop materials.
Is Dawn Safe for Cleaning Quartz?
Yes, Dawn dish soap is generally considered safe and effective for cleaning quartz countertops. Here are some key points on using Dawn on quartz:
- Dawn is a mild detergent that can help clean everyday messes on quartz. Its formula is designed to cut through grease but be gentle on surfaces.
- Avoid abrasive sponges or pads when using Dawn that could scratch the surface. Use a soft cloth or sponge instead.
- Rinse thoroughly after cleaning to remove any soap residue that could build up.
- Dilute with water instead of using Dawn full strength for regular cleaning.
- Stick to a pH-neutral formula. Dawn Ultra is a good option as it has a neutral pH. Avoid Dawn formulas with added bleach.
Dawn is safe for most quartz brands like Caesarstone, Cambria, and Silestone. However, check your manufacturer’s care and maintenance guide to confirm recommended cleaners.
Proper Technique for Cleaning Quartz with Dawn
Follow these steps for best results when using Dawn on quartz countertops:
1. Prepare a Mild Dawn Cleaning Solution
- Fill a spray bottle with warm water.
- Add a small amount of blue Dawn Ultra dish soap, about 1-2 tablespoons per 16oz of water.
- Shake gently to mix the solution.
2. Wipe the Surface
- Spray the diluted Dawn solution directly onto the quartz.
- Using a soft microfiber cloth or non-abrasive sponge, gently wipe the surface.
- Rub in circular motions as needed to remove stuck-on messes. Take care not to scrub aggressively.
3. Rinse Thoroughly
- Once the quartz is cleaned, rinse well with fresh water.
- Wipe off any excess water with a clean towel.
- This helps prevent a buildup of soap scum over time.
4. Dry Completely
- Allow the quartz to air dry fully.
- You can also use a microfiber cloth to dry the surface.
What to Avoid with Dawn on Quartz
While Dawn is quartz-safe, there are some precautions to take:
- Do not use the green Dawn Ultra formula, as it contains bleach that could damage the quartz. Stick to the original blue.
- Avoid abrasive pads, scrubbing brushes, or anything that could scratch. Use only soft cloths and sponges.
- Never use full-strength concentrate Dawn directly on the counter. Always dilute with water first.
- Do not let Dawn sit for prolonged time periods. Clean and rinse promptly.
How Frequently Should I Clean Quartz with Dawn?
Most manufacturers recommend doing a thorough Dawn cleaning of quartz countertops once a week. Here are some other suggested cleaning frequencies:
- Everyday light cleaning: Wipe up spills and messes with a damp microfiber cloth only.
- Weekly: Clean with diluted Dawn solution as described above.
- Monthly: Disinfect surfaces by cleaning with diluted Dawn first, then wiping with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution.
- As needed: Use baking soda and diluted Dawn to scrub away stuck-on residue or grime.
Avoid over-cleaning your quartz too often unnecessarily. The key is to regularly clean any dirt and grime before it has a chance to build up.
Common Messes to Clean with Dawn
Dish soap like Dawn is great for cleaning up all sorts of daily spills and messes on quartz. Some examples include:
- Coffee, tea, juice, or soda spills
- Oil, grease splatters, or cooking residues
- Food stains like tomato sauce, mustard, or wine
- Soap scum, toothpaste, or grime buildup
- Dust, dirt, mud, or sand
For stubborn dried-on messes, let the diluted Dawn soak for 5-10 minutes before wiping to help lift the residue.
Protecting Quartz Surfaces
To keep your quartz looking beautiful in between deep cleanings:
- Use cutting boards, trivets, and coasters under hot pots/pans or glasses.
- Clean up spills promptly to prevent staining.
- Avoid exposing quartz to strong chemicals like paint removers, oven cleaners etc.
- Consider applying a specialty quartz sealer every 1-2 years for added stain protection.
Safest Cleaning Options for Quartz
In addition to diluted Dawn, these cleaning solutions are also safe and effective options for routine quartz care:
- Warm water mixed with a few drops of mild dish soap
- 50/50 white vinegar and water solution
- Hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner
- Stone soap specially formulated for quartz
- Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
Always check the manufacturer’s guidelines before using any new cleaning product on your quartz surfaces. With proper care and regular Dawn cleaning, your quartz countertops can stay looking like new for decades.
Frequently Asked Questions about Using Dawn on Quartz
Can I use vinegar and Dawn to clean quartz?
Yes, you can mix Dawn dish soap with white vinegar for cleaning quartz. Simply combine 1 part Dawn to 3 parts warm water, then add in 1 part white vinegar. The vinegar helps remove soap scum while the Dawn cuts through grease. Rinse thoroughly after cleaning.
What’s the ratio of Dawn and water for cleaning quartz?
For everyday quartz cleaning, mix a dilute Dawn solution of 1-2 tablespoons Dawn per 16 ounces of warm water. Use the blue original formula, not green Dawn Ultra.
Can Dawn remove hard water stains from quartz?
Yes, diluted Dawn can help remove hard water stains and mineral deposits from quartz surfaces. Let the Dawn solution sit for 5-10 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing. You may need to repeat cleaning for stubborn buildup.
How can I make quartz counters shiny again?
To restore shine, first clean thoroughly with diluted Dawn and water. Rinse and dry completely. Apply a small amount of olive oil or mineral oil and buff with a soft cloth. The oil will temporarily fill microscopic scratches and restore luster. Avoid oiling areas near food prep.
Does Dawn dish soap disinfect countertops?
No, Dawn itself does not contain disinfecting properties. However, you can use Dawn first to clean, then follow up with a disinfectant such as diluted hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, or an EPA-registered disinfecting cleaner. This helps provide both cleaning and disinfection for quartz.
The Bottom Line
Dawn dish soap is a versatile, quartz-safe cleaner. With proper care taken to dilute, use non-abrasives, rinse thoroughly, and follow frequency guidelines, Dawn can keep quartz looking beautiful without damage. For deep cleaning power plus gentleness, it’s an ideal choice.