Quartz countertops are engineered stone surfaces made from ground quartz mixed with polyester resins and pigments. They are an extremely popular countertop material due to their durability, low maintenance, and stunning visual appearance. However, like any surface, quartz countertops are susceptible to etching, scratches and stains over time. This is where sealers like ProDXA come in – they act as a protective barrier against damage. But can ProDXA specifically be used on quartz? Let’s take a detailed look.
An Overview of Quartz Countertops
Before diving into whether ProDXA can be used on quartz, it helps to understand what exactly quartz countertops are made of. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Quartz stones – Quartz is one of the hardest minerals found in nature, even harder than granite. When ground into a fine powder, it provides strength and durability.
- Resins – Special polyester or epoxy resins are used to bind the quartz particles together into a solid slab. The resins give flexibility and act as a glue.
- Pigments – Pigments are added to create different colors and patterns like marble or granite. Popular colors are white, gray, black and cream.
- Other materials – Small amounts of other materials like glass, mirrors or shells may be added for decorative effects.
So in summary, quartz countertops are made from roughly 90% ground quartz aggregate held together by resins and pigments. The result is a non-porous, stain-resistant surface that holds up extremely well compared to other countertop materials.
The Benefits of Sealing Quartz Countertops
While quartz countertops are remarkably durable, they can still benefit from sealing:
- Enhanced stain protection – Quartz resists stains from spills thanks to its non-porous nature. But a sealer provides an added layer of protection, especially from oils.
- Reduced etching – Acidic substances like juice, wine or cleaning chemicals can etch quartz and dull the surface over time. A good sealer helps minimize etching damage.
- Easier cleaning – Sealing makes routine cleaning easier. Spills and messes can be wiped off quartz more effortlessly.
- Improved shine – Sealing fills in microscopic pores and repairs minor abrasions, enhancing the glossy appearance of quartz.
- Longevity – By protecting against stains, spills and etches, sealing extends the life and beauty of a quartz countertop.
So while not mandatory, sealing is highly recommended by manufacturers and installers to maintain the look and performance of quartz counters.
Understanding ProDXA Stone Sealer
With the benefits of sealing quartz established, the next question is whether ProDXA specifically is suitable for the job.
ProDXA is a premium-grade stone sealer made by DryTreat, a leading manufacturer of sealers. Here are some key facts about ProDXA:
- Invisible formula – ProDXA penetrates into the quartz but leaves no visible residue or glossy film on the surface.
- Permanent bonding – The sealer forms a permanent bond with the quartz for long-lasting protection compared to temporary options.
- Repels oil and water – Creates an invisible barrier that prevents both oil-based and water-based stains.
- High coverage rate – Only require 2-3 thin coats to fully seal the quartz surface while many competitors take 4-5 coats.
- Breathable barrier – Allows moisture vapor to escape from the countertop so it can “breathe”.
- Stain, etch and slip protection – All in one product that protects against stains, etching, water marks and makes surfaces less slippery.
- Safe for food contact – Once cured, ProDXA is certified food-safe and contains no dangerous chemicals.
With features like permanent bonding, added stain protection, and being safe for food surfaces, ProDXA is an ideal choice as a sealer specifically designed for natural stone and engineered quartz.
Using ProDXA on Quartz Countertops
ProDXA can definitely be used on quartz countertops. However, proper application is key to getting the best results. Here are some tips on using ProDXA for quartz:
Clean the Surface First
It’s important to clean and prepare the quartz thoroughly before sealing. Make sure the surface is:
- Free of dirt, grime, grease, waxes or old sealers
- Rinsed well and completely dry
- If polished, buffed to restore the smooth finish
This allows ProDXA to fully penetrate into the naked quartz material.
Read the Instructions Carefully
While using ProDXA is straightforward, be sure to read the instructions on the bottle. Pay attention to:
- Correct product to surface application
- Ideal environmental conditions like temperature range
- Any specific equipment recommended like applicator pads
Following the directions ensures you apply ProDXA properly.
Apply Thin, Even Coats
The key is to apply thin coats of ProDXA. Thick blobs or puddles can leave a hazy residue. Instead:
- Use the recommended applicator, usually a soft cloth or paint pad
- Apply a small amount of sealer across the surface
- Spread into a thin, even layer leaving no puddles
- Allow the recommended dry time between coats
2-3 thin coats are ideal to build up sufficient protection.
Let Fully Cure Before Use
It takes time for ProDXA to fully cure, bond and become food safe. Avoid using the sealed surface for at least:
- 24 hours for light use
- 3-5 days for full curing
So plan accordingly and keep the quartz clear while the sealer hardens.
ProDXA is a permanent sealer. But reapplying yearly helps maintain maximum protection as the sealer gradually wears off over time.
By following these best practices, ProDXA can keep quartz counters looking like new for years.
The Benefits of Using ProDXA on Quartz
Applying a high-quality sealer like ProDXA provides multiple benefits that prolong the life and beauty of quartz countertops:
The bonded sealer makes quartz more scratch, chip and crack resistant against knives, pots/pans and dropped objects.
Routine cleaning is easier as spills can be quickly wiped off the protected surface.
Oils, juices, dyes and other stains have a harder time penetrating the sealed quartz.
Acidic Etching Protection
Minimizes damage from acidic foods and harsh cleaners reacting with the surface.
The quartz keeps its polished, glossy appearance much longer with a protective sealer.
The sealed pores minimize bacteria growth and makes disinfecting the countertop simpler.
Overall wear and tear is greatly reduced, extending the pristine beauty of quartz countertops.
So using ProDXA as a sealer provides noticeable benefits from both a visual and practical standpoint.
FAQs About Using ProDXA on Quartz
Should quartz countertops be sealed at all?
Yes, sealing is highly recommended by manufacturers. The added protection is worthwhile to prevent etched spots, stains and loss of shine over time.
How often should I reseal quartz countertops?
Plan on reapplying ProDXA about once a year depending on use. Heavily used kitchen counters may need resealing every 6-9 months.
Can any sealer be used on quartz?
No, only permanent sealers like ProDXA are recommended for quartz. Temporary options like oils and waxes can build up or go rancid over time.
Is it absolutely necessary to seal new quartz counters?
Sealing brand new quartz is not mandatory but still a good idea. It provides added stain and etch protection starting on day one.
Can too much sealer be harmful to quartz?
Yes, over-application can leave a cloudy, sticky residue. Always apply ProDXA in thin coats following the exact usage directions.
How long does ProDXA take to fully cure?
ProDXA requires 24 hours before light use of the sealed surface. Allow 3-5 days for the sealer to completely bond and become food safe.
Can ProDXA change the look of quartz?
When applied properly, ProDXA will not alter the appearance or make the surface feel different. It remains invisible.
In summary, ProDXA by DryTreat is an excellent sealer specifically designed for use on engineered stone countertops like quartz. When applied properly in thin layers and allowed to fully cure, ProDXA bonds permanently to the surface to provide long-lasting protection against stains, etching, moisture damage and routine wear and tear. Annual reapplication helps maintain the flawless beauty and practical benefits of quartz countertops for years of enjoyment. Be sure to carefully follow the usage directions on the ProDXA bottle.