Quartz countertops are popular in many homes today thanks to their durable, non-porous, low-maintenance, and stylish nature. However, like any surface, quartz countertops are prone to messes and spills that need cleaning. A common question homeowners have is whether they can use Simple Green cleaner on their quartz counters. Here is a detailed look at using Simple Green on quartz.
What is Simple Green?
Simple Green is a household cleaning product made by Sunshine Makers Inc. It is a non-toxic, biodegradable all-purpose cleaner that can be used to clean a variety of surfaces in the home.
Some key features of Simple Green Cleaner:
- Made from plant-based ingredients like citrus extracts and sodium citrate. Does not contain harsh chemicals.
- Safe for cleaning most household surfaces including glass, tile, stone, aluminum, plastics etc.
- Available as concentrated formulas that can be diluted with water before use.
- Known for its grease-cutting and degreasing abilities. Helpful in removing grime and grease buildup.
- Has a mild, pleasant scent and is non-abrasive.
Is Simple Green Safe for Quartz?
The short answer is yes. Simple Green is generally considered safe to use on quartz countertops. Here’s why:
- Quartz is non-porous – Unlike granite or marble, quartz does not absorb stains or moisture easily. This allows it to be cleaned with a variety of mild cleaning solutions without damage.
- Simple Green is quartz-safe – The brand specifically states their all-purpose cleaner is safe for use on engineered stone surfaces like quartz. It does not contain harsh acids, alkalis or abrasives.
- pH-balanced formula – Simple Green has a pH of 8-9, meaning it is mild, neutral and soap-free. This makes it a suitable everyday cleaner for quartz counters.
- Used widely without issues – Many quartz owners use Simple Green on their counters regularly without any etching, discoloration or damage. It does a great job cleaning quartz without negative effects.
However, you must follow proper dilution and cleaning practices which we’ll look at next.
How to Use Simple Green on Quartz Counters
Here are some tips on using Simple Green correctly on quartz:
- Dilute it – Only use Simple Green in its diluted form on quartz. For everyday cleaning, mix 1 part Simple Green with 3 parts warm water.
- Spot test first – Do a spot test on an inconspicuous part of the quartz to check for any reaction. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge – Dampen your cloth or sponge in the solution and wipe the counters gently. Avoid abrasive pads.
- Rinse thoroughly – After cleaning, rinse the counters well with plain water to remove residue. Blot dry with a soft towel.
- Avoid leaving wet – Do not allow Simple Green solution to pool or sit wet on the quartz for extended periods as this can damage any surface over time.
- Check manufacturer guidelines – Some quartz brands may have specific instructions, so check your manufacturer’s care guide too.
- Cautions with bleach – Avoid using Simple Green with bleach together on quartz, as this combination is too harsh.
By following these tips, Simple Green can indeed be safely used on quartz countertops for regular cleaning and upkeep.
Benefits of Using Simple Green on Quartz
Using Simple Green to clean your quartz countertops comes with several advantages:
1. Removes Most Types of Stains and Dirt
Simple Green’s surfactants and cleaning agents allow it to break down and dissolve grease, oil, food residue, dirt, mineral deposits and more from quartz surfaces. With routine use, it keeps counters clean and bright.
2. Leaves No Residue or Streaks
When correctly diluted and rinsed off, Simple Green does not leave any sticky residue or soapy film on quartz counters. It wipes off cleanly leaving a spotless finish.
3. Fresh Smell from Natural Ingredients
Unlike harsh chemical cleaners, Simple Green has a light, refreshing scent from its plant-based formula. It leaves your kitchen smelling clean after use.
4. More Affordable than Quartz-specific Cleaners
Specialized quartz cleaners are costlier. Simple Green offers effective cleaning at a fraction of the price, making it budget-friendly.
5. Removes Stains Like Coffee, Juice, Grease Marks
Simple Green’s degreasing capabilities make it easy to remove commonly encountered stains on quartz from food items like coffee, juices, oils etc. without much effort.
6. Prevents Buildup of Bacteria
Regular use of Simple Green cleans away food particles, residue and grime that can harbor harmful bacteria on quartz countertops. This helps maintain hygiene.
7. Environment-Friendly Formula
Being plant-based and biodegradable, Simple Green is a non-toxic cleaner for those who prefer green cleaning solutions.
Simple Green Products Suitable for Quartz
Simple Green offers various cleaner formulations – all-purpose cleaners, degreasers, dish soap etc. Here are some of their products quartz owners can safely use:
- Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner – The original formula, ideal for everyday quartz cleaning.
- Simple Green Scrubbing Pads – For gentle scrubbing on tough stains and spills on quartz.
- Simple Green Limescale Remover – Removes mineral deposits and soap scum buildup from quartz.
- Simple Green Oxy Solve – Helpful for occasional deep cleaning jobs on quartz surfaces.
Always spot test new Simple Green products first on a small section of your quartz before full use. Pay attention to any product labels for incompatibility with stone surfaces.
Quartz Cleaning Tips to Follow
While Simple Green is safe for cleaning quartz countertops, avoid overuse and follow these practices:
- Never use undiluted concentrate Simple Green directly on quartz.
- Do not let spills sit for long periods before cleaning up.
- Avoid abrasive pads, scouring powders, or bleach when cleaning quartz.
- For stubborn stains, let Simple Green solution sit for 2-3 minutes before wiping off.
- Reseal quartz counters every 1-2 years for added protection with specialty sealers.
- Inspect quartz regularly for signs of damage like cracks, pits or etching.
Can I Use Simple Green on Other Stone Surfaces?
Always check manufacturer guidelines before using Simple Green on natural stone surfaces like granite, marble, limestone etc. Simple Green is generally considered granite-safe when correctly diluted and rinsed off. However, some porous, delicate or polished stones may react with its formula. Do a spot test first, and wipe off immediately after cleaning.
To summarize, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner is indeed safe for use on quartz countertops. When diluted as directed and used properly, it can provide routine cleaning to remove dirt and stains from quartz without damage. Ensure you follow the proper techniques of mixing, rinsing and drying the counters after use. Simple Green is an economical and effective option for keeping quartz counters in top condition year-round with minimal effort.